MORE ON THAT BANYAN... 13/9/20

For the vocalised text, try clicking just  HERE

I'm at that awkward stage shared, I am sure, by many artists and craftsmen: I am ready to start my project, but uncertain (not quite the right word) how to begin. It's a bit like being faced with a large sheet of white paper and not quite knowing where to start making a mark: cutting fabric is so VERY final !!
So, as mentioned in a previous post, I have been playing around with mild tints for the chintz lining: instant coffee (left in the photo) Earl Grey tea (centre) and Rooibos (right). The results were, unsurprisingly, quite different: Coffee left very little mark once I'd washed the fabric; tea was the strongest - a rather greyish beige - and Rooibos was vaguely rusty. 
Really hard to tell from the photo, as the tint IS very subtle: all I want to do is slightly knock back the rather bright white, so I think I'll stick with my dear old mother's tried and tested tea!
Because the silk is only 72 cms wide (and not overly cheap) I have had to work out very careful 'placements' for the pattern pieces. It took me a while to realise that my original layout made no allowance for pattern direction PLUS I'd made a basic error of mathematics (never my strong point!), so I have had to sketch things out again... and again... and again...
The pattern is a very simple one, based on a north African folk shirt, which I have used many times before for shirts and, most recently, a rain jacket (green nylon, lined with silk - well, why not?!).
Oops, my battery is getting low, I'd best sign off... but I hope to start working properly on the banyan this week, with cutting out all the pattern pieces. That's just the START!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE WAY TO A NEW 'ME' 02/10/20

MORE BANYANICALS 03/9/20

"THERE'S A BODY IN THE HALL" 27/10/20