STILL MORE BANYAN STUFF... 21/9/20

For the vocal version of this post, please click  HERE

Oh the joys of modern technology... nicely into my blog and dear Blogger decides to hang and lose everything I've just written...Grrr... So... once more unto the breach, dear friends...!

I'm starting this blog with a small proviso - that most of the photos in this instalment are garnered from the recesses of the worldwide web and often their provenance and copyright are lost along the way. So my apologies...

Like much C18th clothing, for the banyan we have to rely on a few extant garments in collections dotted round the world and on painted images (usually portraits of intellectuals and thinkers). One thing that always comes across is that these were clearly comfortable, baggy garments.
Some, like the first image, seem to have been somewhat structured and others, like the rather lovely yellow brocade one, are very simple 'T' shapes. There are one or two patterns out there in web-land and the one most commonly referred to seems to be this one:
I'm not a great fan of the T-shape generally - I have fairly sloping shoulders and there always seems to be too much fabric gathering itself at the neck. So I shall be using a Folkwear pattern I've been adapting for ages for shirts and the like (their Egyptian shirt No. 104). The Folkwear website is well worth a visit by the way: www.folkwear.com
Following-on from my last entry, I dyed the Indian chintz lining material with tea (Earl Grey, should you be interested) and am pleased how it came out, just knocking-back the brightness. Very grateful I have a large Belfast sink in my laundry room!
The fabric's on the thin side, so I am interfacing it with a soft cotten curtain lining; a slow, mildly tedious operation
but it's nearly done now. Then I shall use those pieces to cut out the silk brocade [bites nails]... I shall also take the opportunity to use the same pieces to cut out a sort of short padded lining, that can be buttoned-in for winter. Luckily I have enough of the chintz to do this, as well as some well-washed cotton domette. Once I have those pieces cut out though, I can in fact put them on one side and get on with sewing-up the lining and outer layer. At a very rough estimate, a good 40 yards of hand-sewing - and that doesn't include tacking...!!! I must be mad... but, hell, why not - I have plenty of time on my hands and I can do it !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE WAY TO A NEW 'ME' 02/10/20

MORE BANYANICALS 03/9/20

"THERE'S A BODY IN THE HALL" 27/10/20