THE MAKING OF GOD JUL... 17/12/20

As usual, if you'd like to hear this in audio, please press  HERE
But please do look at the photos and listen to the links! 

I am going to open this post with a link to a stunningly sung version of the old Swedish carol 'Jul, Jul, stralande Jul'  (yule, Yule, glorious yule, Shine over white forests...etc etc)

Back in September, I felt an overwhelming desire to keep in contact with people come Christmastime. I think the 'insularity' of this peculiar year must be responsible. I have not sent out seasonal cards SINCE 2015, so a) I thought it would be nice to surprise people and b) it would keep me busy - not that I don't have other things to do of course!
Wonderful place that the internet can be, I just didn't seem to be able to find anything commercially available that appealed to me - and the cost - some of the nicer ones were £5 each....!!
Being a staunch atheist, I have tended to shy away from the overtly religeous and have generally made mine 'Season's Greetings' or 'Merry Midwinter' or even, one year, simply 'Happy New Year'. Spreading my net a bit though, I became aware of the Scandinavian tradition of Yuletide (which technically seems to run from Midwinter's Eve to New Year). There, the emphasis is less on Father Christmas and more on the 'tomtenisse' which are little gnomes/sprites/nixies, call them what you will.
These little beings are essentially there to look after your home (in their way) and keep it safe. As with all such folk creatures, a certain amount of 'stuff' gets put down to them: milk curdling, combs going missing, ditto biscuits from the larder and so-on and so-on and so-on. Evidently a good householder puts a bowl of porridge out for them on Midwinter's Eve...
They are interesting little beings to go on a Yuletide card though: big conical hat, a nose (ideally slightly pink) and an enormous beard. Some images give them arms and legs, but I decided on the minimalist approach! As it happens, I had a small stock of different-coloured felts and, of course, any amount of coloured yarns and un-spun fibre. 
First mock-up

My initial thoughts about it being a quick glue-gun job were dispelled once I actually started work making them - a needle and thread is just so much easier  (for me, at least,). I started with the hats - each and every one is different - naturally - and then the beards which, much like the hats became more exuberant as time went on, some extending way beyond the bottom edge of the card, which may prove a slight display challenge!

Having put together about thirty-five little individuals, I then had to think about the actual card and its lettering. Luckily I had a generous supply of suitable card stock, but no printer capable of processing them... so... hand-drawn letters it was! In fact they were great fun to do and I just let my imagination go. Like the tomtes, each one is an original and indeed once I'd got them all done, it took a while to match up the right figure with the right lettering. I think I got it right in the end!

Hopefully the cards I sent out have all arrived by now and this post is not letting the cat out of the bag! And here's a couple of especial favourites:

I'm not generally a garland-on-the-door type of person, but felt this was a good year to make one. A commercial garland hoop was the base, backed out with a bit of bubble-wrap, then wound about with soft cotton and, finally, an outer cover of plush red felt. I thought my various snow-covered Christmas trees might look a bit better with a teensy bit of glitter along the edges - and I think will be slightly more eye-catching.... but, OHhhhhhh... that dratted glitter gets EVERYWHERE!!!!!  Grrr...

Anyway, glitter problems aside, I think the wreath came out rather well and so I wish you all a very 'God Jul'... {:-)

PS: I think the group calling themselves Zero 8 gave such a good performance they should be given a second listen:

This second link is to another of their efforts and is just great FUN
Khorumi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE WAY TO A NEW 'ME' 02/10/20

MORE BANYANICALS 03/9/20

"THERE'S A BODY IN THE HALL" 27/10/20